Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Reflections of Presentation and Blog

Jessica M.-

I think that the lesson went well. My classmates were engaged and really understood the meaning of the lesson; to use primary documents in the means of a debate. This debate was between the pro and against views towards the common core.  My classmates took full advantage of the documents, group discussion, and possibilities for their stance. Once the debate began, my classmates stayed true to their stance given to them as well as using information and key details from the common core. Some challenges we faced, however, was the finding the appropriate and valid documents. It was difficult to find documents that were not just talking to talk and used valid details and points for the view. Another difficulty that we were afraid of but did not face entirely was the interaction and participation of my classmates. However, most to all of the classmates participated at least once throughout the entire activity and that was great! 
            Before this assignment, I was not very active in current events. I was not interested in researching more in depth and did not have any strong views towards either sides of a topic. Now, after the blog and lesson, I have gain more interest in researching current events and viewpoints. I am glad I chose this particular topic because I have a stronger connection towards this than other topics. I began to understand the importance of current events and that staying up to date on current events is important as a citizen today.

Jessica D.-
I think that there were many aspects of my group’s presentation that went well. First, we were able to introduce our topic (Common Core Standards) and relate it back to our classmates’ lives due to the fact that they will be entering the professional world soon and should be educated on this important topic. Second, we were able to address our teaching strategy – using primary documents – in order to show our classmates how we would incorporate these documents within our future classrooms. Lastly, we were able to engage our classmates in a debate by providing them with stimulating questions to answer. One of the challenges of this presentation was not interjecting and adding my own thoughts and ideas during the debate. For, there were several different times when my classmates would make a comment that I agreed, or disagreed with, however, due to the fact that I was a moderator, I wanted to remain neutral and not biased. Having said that, this was a great teaching strategy that forced me, the teacher, to really listen to what my classmates had to say on this topic. I learned a lot from this presentation. First, I learned that I need to take a step back when teaching and let my students drive the conversation. For, in listening to my classmates during this debate I was able to take mental notes of who understand what the Common Core Standards are, and who did not have a good understanding of them. I also learned that my classmates all had their own different opinions about this issue, however, they were able to discuss their different ideas in a civil manner. This furthermore showed me that it is possible to have debates with my students, as long as they respect their other fellow classmates and their beliefs. Lastly, I learned that sometimes there is not a ‘right answer’ or a ‘be-all-end-all answer’ to whether or not the Common Core Standards are a good or bad thing. For, there are multiple different perspectives on whether or not the Common Core Standards are good or bad for a multitude of different reasons. If I could change one thing about this presentation I would try to find primary documents that were not based solely on critiquing the actual standards of the Common Core, but instead on critiquing how students will be assessed. For, I think my group and I placed too much emphasis on the actual standards and not the assessment, which is an important part of the implementation of the Common Core Standards.
What I learned most from teaching the lesson was to set the stage by introducing the topic, providing the information and which teaching strategy (in this case a debate using primary documents to form an opinion) is being used, and then allowing the students to read, discuss, form their opinions, and learn from each other. I learned that the role of the teacher is more director/moderator for a lesson such as this, and that the opinions should be of the students who are debating this issue/topic.
The next time I teach a similar lesson I will combine primary source information that is factual (the actual law) highlighting the key facts of the topic as well as the pros and cons of the topic. I would probably show a brief video of both sides of the topic with an explanation of the law prior to handing out any and all sources, so that students have a better understanding of what it is they are looking for in the documents and/or what they are debating. Also, I have a difficult time keeping my opinion to myself and this lesson was not only a test, but a good way to practice mediating and allowing the students to form their own opinions and views about any current event.
I enjoyed the process of learning in this whole blog assignment. I do admit that I still need to fine tune my computer/technology skills when it comes time to set up my own teacher blog. I will definitely have my own blog for my fellow teachers, my students, and the parents of my students. My teacher blog will not be political, it will be informational and fun. I now have many more ideas for it from the Pinterest assignment that we did on Tuesday, December 3rd. Pinterest will definitely help me with ideas, links, and information of any topic or subject that I want to post. You never know - I may end up being one those teachers who shares lessons and activities on the site.



Charlene-
All things considered, I think the mini-lesson went well. The biggest challenge we faced in this particular lesson was finding at least one primary source/document that was based on fact as opposed to opinion. Yes, there is the actual law that could be studied, however, the language is written by lawyers and can be difficult to understand. Therefore, we looked for explanations of the law and ended up finding much partisan information. To add to the argument of whether or not the Common Core Standards are good policy is the fact that not all states are on board or participating/following the new standards. In fact, as we speak, many other states are taking a closer look at the new policies and finding that the standards have flaws. Even those who were in favor of the law are now questioning its intentions (special need students, ELLs, and exceptional students). I enjoyed researching the topic, learning both sides of the argument, and forming my own opinions of the Common Core Standards from the perspective of having children in school and that of a future teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment